Thursday, June 16, 2016

Chapter Nine

When it comes to motivation everyone has their own idea of it, people see things differently. With motivation you should be setting goals for yourself, trying to figure out what you want in life and who you want to be. As you set your mind to certain things people find things to motivate them to achieve it. For instance with me the biggest thing that motivates me is my parents, getting through college my first two years was me what difficult but talking to my parents and knowing  I wanted to make them happy made me motivate myself more. In photojournalism, photojournalists need a lot of motivation because they get judged on certain things like gender, race, and more.


A women who name was Bacani and 28 years old moved to Hong Kong from the Philippines. She came to Hong Kong to help pay for her brothers education by being a maid. Bacani was exposed to photography and took wonderful pictures from the different trips she took around Hong Kong and sceneries of abuse of the domestic workers. The Magnum Foundation gave her the chance to study photography for six weeks in New York with a scholarship. She was happy; she wanted to pursue her passion for photography. A big thing for her was when a lady lent her money to go buy a camera which was a Nikon D90. I’m pretty sure Bacani knew that photography would change her life and if she wanted to help fund her brother, this was the route that she needed to take. Bacani once said “That’s what I want photography to do; to be able to help people… to me photography is a very powerful tool to change someone’s perspective toward an issue.” Bacani motivation is the domestic workers from when she seen them getting abused. She wants to help these workers let the world know what has been going on, and she feels that her photographs can get the word out.  Bacani also stated that “They keep on telling me ..now that they’ve seen me, I made them realize that its possible to do the things that you really want to do outside your job.” Not only does she motivate herself, she motivated others around her. 
Image By: Bacani
Another photographer is Lee Miller, her focus was on fashion and the WWII. Miller had a rough childhood she was raped by a family friend and her father took nude photos of her to overcome her fear of being raped. Lee Miller was a model and was a fashion photographer and worked for Vogue. Miller left her husband to be with surrealist Roland Penrose.  Lee had a great passion for photography. It wasn’t clear what her motivation was but I feel it was her education or her father. I feel like it was her father because her father loved photography and he taught her some of the stuff she knew and she wanted to follow behind his footsteps.  She is a very beautiful women and when she seen beauty she took pictures that was in her interest.
Photojournalist Heidi Levine is photographer who somewhat bases her work on Jerusalem.  She covers many stories in the Middle East area. Levine has three children that she is raising. During her career she likes to look at stories that are on a professional level and personal. I feel that Levine motivations are her family because she wants to be successful and give them a good life and give them a reason to live. This woman has won many awards for her photographs as in the Silver Award for video/multimedia features, honorable mention at NPPA’s Best of Photojournalism, and many more. Comparing Heidi and the other photojournalists I feel like we have the same motivations our family and the world. We all want to make our family proud and change the world or community in some way and if we put our mind to it we can achieve it. Also we want to change our community or world through our career. Only thing different is I want social work to be my career but work with kids. So many kids now a days have difficulty with families and friends and I want to help them get through it. Also what touched me was the video of when Gordon Parks speaks about blacks. When he said " don't let blackness weigh you down." Hearing this made me think of a lot of things especially for our future kids. Certain parts of the world still have racism and I feel like its coming back. I don't want the younger children to think because they are colored they can't do anything for their community or world.

Image By: Heidi Levine

No comments:

Post a Comment